Provision of support to universities participating in the "5-100" Program
Партнёры: Центр стратегических разработок (Москва)
Implementation period: 2015-2016
Project Goal: Provision of expert advisory support for the universities included in the 5-100 Project (the program aimed at enhancing competitiveness of Russian universities and improving their positions in global rankings).
The research included:
1. Faculty and staff surveys (except HSE University).
2. Bibliometric analysis of the publication activity of the academic staff of the university
3. A series of interviews or a workshop with heads of the university's structural divisions
4. Planning session with participation of administration and academic staff of the university
5. Analysis of documents (applications for the competition of strategic academic units within the framework of the 5-100 Project)
6. Structural consultations with rectors and other persons in charge of the implementation of the "5-100" project in their universities, based on the results of the survey performed.
In the course of the research there were identified those structural units (academic units) whose development primarily ensured successful and active restructuring of the universities as a whole: the existence of academic groups and leaders making the important changes (dominant coalition), areas of specialization of these structural units in education, research and development.
The potential for cooperation (creation of joint research programs and development of joint educational programs) for the identified structural units (academic units) – leaders of change in the universities, participating in the 5-100 Program – was assessed.
The customer was offered formats for organization and management of cooperative (joint) research and educational programs, including provision of special support for adoption of "smart specialization" – the approach that helps universities (or their academic units) to focus on the themes and concentrate their resources on breakthrough directions for education, research and development.
The research was conducted in October 2015 – May 2016 in 7 universities:
1. Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University
2. ITMO University
3. Novosibirsk State University
4. Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (State University)
5. National Research Nuclear University (MEPhI)
6. Lobachevsky Nizhni Novgorod University
7. National University of Science and Technology MIS&S
8. National Research University – Higher School of Economics